Almost a test

Article: 7447 of alt.hackers
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
From: gavin@sallery.demon.co.uk (Gavin Sallery)
Subject: Almost a test
Sender: news@demon.co.uk (Usenet Administration)
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 1995 16:05:58 GMT

Almost, but not quite.

ObHack: This post.
Having tired of manually hacking round the idiot filter on my news suite,
I've written a small application. This application sits on the icon bar (RISC
OS, not Windoze) until I activate it; at which point, it searches the
outgoing queue of my transport (Arc KA9Q), and finds the newest file. It
loads this in, scans through, redirects the file's destination to
alt.hackers, and makes the appropriate changes to the header. All at the
click of a mouse. The idea is, I can write an article to any group
(unmoderated), and then tell !TTFN (my newsreader) to post it. At this point,
the news manager checks to see if it is posting to a moderated group, and if
so, queues the article separately, awaiting moderator approval. It also
performs a few other checks, like making sure you're not posting to control,
or other such things that users should never have to do :-)

Of course, once it's sent the file through this filter, it hands it over to
the transport program. The transport program doesn't care where the article's
going, so this is where I intercept it. A fairly lame hack, but it makes it
so much easier to post here :-)

--
/__     (_        \ Hertfordshire, England

Back to index