"unfixable" Car Stereo

Article: 7463 of alt.hackers
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
From: kelly@cray.com (Matt Kelly)
Subject: "unfixable" Car Stereo
Date: 1 Mar 95 12:39:16 CST

ObAndTheySaidItWasIrrepairableYaRightHack:

I once had a car with a factory-installed AM/FM Cassette player (Ford --
no flames, please, I've learned).  One day I was driving along, listening
to tunes, when suddenly I hit a major bump in the road.  Immediately,
the volume of the stereo went to FULL BLAST, and could NOT be turned down.

Later that day, I pulled out the stereo, and lo and behold, there was
a break in the "trace" leading from the volume control into
the amplifier circuitry.  This "trace" was not copper, but
was instead some kind of carbon.  It was integrated into the incredibly
cheaply built volume control.  I scraped away some of the carbon HOPING
to find a substrate of copper or at least SOME kind of metal, but no luck.
This break was NOT solderable.

I called a bunch of repair-type places, including FORD service, and
everyone said the same thing: not fixable.  Humbug.

So, I talked to a mechanical engineer buddy of mine, and he gave me a
sample of some stuff a glue vendor gave him.  It was silver-powder
impregnated epoxy!!  Incredible holding power AND electrically
conductive!!  I cleaned the area on and around the break, carefully
applied (read glopped) some of this wonder-goo onto it, waited overnight,
and tried it out.  IT WORKED!!!  I re-installed the car stereo, and it
worked great!

It was difficult to resist the urge to call every one of them back and
give them a royal raspberry over the phone... B^)

Hack On!!

---

|  Matt Kelly                       |                                       |
|  Software Engineer                |     My karma ran over my dogma.       |
|  Cray Research, Inc.              |     I hate it when that happens!      |
|  kelly@els.cray.com               |                                       |