Re: First Post

Article: 7356 of alt.hackers
From: ssk@tauon.ph.unimelb.edu.au (Sirtaj Singh Kang)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: First Post
Date: 13 Feb 1995 01:52:50 GMT

David Lee (dmlee@cris.com) wrote:
: This is WAY too easy...

Well, I'm one up... this is my first a.h posting, and I've even got an
ObHack!

ObU*xNewbieHack: One of our university labs has a whole lot of SPARCs
which my friends and I (all new to SunOS) would log on to; we wanted to
check if anyone we knew was on at the same time (BIG lab, also dialin), so
I wrote a csh script to finger all the machines and grep the output with a
personal .people file (with friends' login names) and print a
nawk-formatted report. It turned out a bit slow (30 machines to finger),
so I got each finger to run in the background, putting it's output in a
separate file; these were then cocatenated after a few seconds
(still-running fingers were killed with a nawk script parsing ps -fu) and
the formatting was done the old way. MUCH faster... a logical later step
was adding external servers to finger (outside the local network).
NOTE: This screws up other processing on a slow machine (upto 30 processes!).

gone

Back to index