Re: Grumpy modem hack..

Article: 7361 of alt.hackers
From: westonj@ucs.orst.edu (Jeffrey Weston)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: Grumpy modem hack..
Date: 13 Feb 1995 04:12:11 GMT

In article <3he19u$9ng@ecosys.nbs.nau.edu>,
James W. Abendschan <jwa@ecosys.nbs.nau.edu> wrote:

>Did you shut off dialtone detection and all that other crap before doing
>it?  IE, on one modem you do ATA, and on the other you do ATX0D.  Presto.
>(didn't the recording that comes on after you leave the phone off hook
>for a while interfere with the data flow?)

	First I took the phone off hook and waited for the recording to
finish. Once I had a clean line, I did ATX0 so that it wouldn't complain
about no dial tone. Normally I wouldn't have had to make use of the phone
line and just directly connect the two modems together, but for some
reason this one modem just wasn't putting out enough of a singal for the
other one to pick up. This is strange because on every other modem I've
tried this on, it's worked fine.

	WWIV hack... : The WWIV bulliten board system is supposed to go
through a daily event every day at midnight. In order for this to happen
the BBS must be in a state where it is waiting for callers. Unfortunately
on my setup I have a front door to allow me to connect to a Fido style
network. Since WWIV no longer was responsible for waiting for callers, it
no longer had the oppurtunity to run the daily event. The easy fix was to
force the mailer to run WWIV once a night around midnight so that it
would run the daily event. I eventually cleaned up the code and made WWIV
exit after the daily event was done; while not really neccesary, it
prevented a prospective net call from being answered by the wrong program.
--
	Jeff Weston <westonj@ucs.orst.edu>

gone gone

Back to index