Re: Any suggestions?

Article: 7493 of alt.hackers
From: dchin@daphy.physics.orst.edu (David Chin)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: Any suggestions?
Date: 8 Mar 1995 20:06:02 GMT

agb001@acad.drake.edu ParaPsykotic () wrote:
> Hey everyone...
>
> I've been working on a program to decode and strip UUencoded data, so
> that for instance, I could feed it an entire newsgroup and have it
> auto-extract the items in it.
>
> I've got the source code below, it is a highly modified "uucat"
program
> (which is available at several Unix FTP sites) so that it has a little
> more intelligence...
>
> [Deletia]

Something that does that already is "uuexp".  Don't remember where
I got
it from, but it does just what you want.  (This is not to discourage you
>from  rolling your own, though.)

ObWhatTheHack:

The new computer room in the Department of Physics has a LOT of static:
everytime I'm in there for more than a few minutes, I build up a charge
large enough to zap me audibly when I touch the door handle.  So, I got
a disposable grounding strap, and grounded the metal table I work at to
the case of the terminal.  Voila!  No more zaps.  (I hate being zapped.)
A friend of mine went one up and grounded the strap to the cable conduit
leaving the free end just by the door, where everyone can ground out
before touching the door knob.  Yeah.  Pretty lame, I know.  (So why
does the room have a lot of static?  It used to be a bio lab, and there's
a really high volume vent in the room.  That's the only thing I can
think of.)

BTW: What's the difference between a kluge and a hack?

--
David Chin                               Cornell University '92
                                         Oregon State University '??
                                 |              Corvallis,
"In short, in matters vegetable, |              OR 97330
 animal, and mineral ..."        |

gone

Child

Back to index