ObHack: Telephone

Article: 7940 of alt.hackers
From: csferree@indy.net (Sebastian Tsero)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: ObHack: Telephone
Date: 2 Jun 1995 05:54:14 GMT

ObHack:

Not being much of an electronics guy, I decided it was time that I open
up a telephone and see what I could do.  I poked around a bit, used my
conceptual electronics knowledge to conjecture which mechanism did what,
and was able to re-screw everything back together. (even though there's
no clanking around when the plastic shell is shook, I have some screws
left over.  Hmm...)

I went on the IRC afterwards, boastful of this new-found ability of mine.
:)  A friend recalled a story of -his- friend trying to make a
speakerphone out of his phone.  Not to be outdone by even a story with an
uneventful ending (he did not succeed), I tried my hand at it.  I took
out the cylindrical speaker and took the wires from a stereo speaker and
slid them through the holes.  They were then taped with electrical tape
and twisted around the two ends of the cords that were connected to the
speaker.

Things work well, even though it could use a little amplification.

If anyone has a cute trick for amplifying (cutting the wire down to
reduce resistance?), I'd appreciate it.  Also, I'm curious as to a brief
history of short-wave radio, to see if an old radio has SW capabilities.
The frequencies marking the boundaries of SW radio, the possible
modifications to rewire a radio, WHATEVER, would be appreciated.

--
csferree@indy.net  -  email or usenet

Child

Back to index