Re: Need info on connecting pager to pc.

Article: 7470 of alt.hackers
From: gregc@fullfeed.com (Greg Corey)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: Need info on connecting pager to pc.
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 95 15:00:21 CST

In article <r0gue69@indirect.com> on Thu, 23 Feb 1995 00:17:22 GMT,
rogue@indirect.com (rogue) wrote:

>hello. i am curious on how one goes about hooking a motorola bravo
>express pager to the pc. i know software exists that uses the com ports,
>but i don't know if you would hook the pager directly to the com port, or
>if you need some extra hardware inbetween the pager and the serial port.
>any replies will be welcome.

>obhack: i know i have done some of the things i have seen obhacks for,
>        but i just never considered them particularly clever, or felt the
>        need to tell the world.

Well, first off, that's the most pathetic thing I've ever seen for an
OBHack.  NO hack is too small unless it's NO HACK.  Post something you
considered even minutely clever... you know, screwing in a screw with a pair
of tweezers or something.  Geez.

Secondly, the only way you could really hook the pager up would be to know
what the 6 or so pins that connect the two card parts are (at least, I'm
assuming your Bravo Express is similar to my Bravo Plus)... since I can't
even think of why you would WANT to hook a pager up to the PC, I'm forced to
ask, are you mental or just trying a really funky hack with no clues?

Note:  If you're trying to get your PC to page you, just buy a voicemail
modem and have it call you!  Boca makes a pretty inexpensive one that I've
used for more than 8 months with no problems.

Damn.  Such a useless thing.  Now I have to come up with an...

OBWhenIGetTheTimeHack:

I have a Maytag washer that doesn't spin or run when the lid is up.  It
won't even fill with water.  This drives me nuts, because a properly
balanced washer (which mine is) can run with no lid on at all and not splash
more than a few droplets of water.

SO... I'll do what I did with the last one, and screw a plate over the
switch to force it to always read shut.  Last time I did that, however, I
got unlucky and had an unbalanced load problem... well, since the washer
quits until you open the lid and then reclose the lid, I couldn't use the
washer until I removed my plate and reinstalled it.

So, when I get the time, I'll drill a hole in the top of the washer lid and
install a SPST 20 amp toggle switch and leave it thrown all of the time...
until I have another unbalanced load, then all I'll have to do is balance
it, throw the toggle off, wait 5 seconds, and throw it back on.

--
 -- Greg Corey     |      Because I don't really want to get sued...
gregc@fullfeed.com | All opinions are my own, no warranty made or implied.

gone

Child Child

Back to index