Call-ID -> announced calls

Article: 7598 of alt.hackers
From: edp@math.zk3.dec.com (Eric Postpischil)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Call-ID -> announced calls
Date: 4 Apr 1995 18:12:42 GMT

I've been waiting over a decade for the pieces to fall into place, but
they're finally here:  I just got a Supra FAX 288i modem and Procomm
Plus 2.11, both with calling-line identification support.  I modified
Procomm's host-mode script to scan for the call-ID string, look up the
number in my database (which is automatically updated whenever I back up
my HP-95 to the PC), form the string "NAME is calling", and spawn a
batch script to run the READ program that came with the Sound Blaster
Pro that reads English text.  Now my incoming calls are announced by the
Sound Blaster, with name if known and number otherwise.

                                -- edp (Eric Postpischil)
                                "Always mount a scratch monkey."
                                edp@mv.com

Disclaimer:  The opinions of Digital Equipment Corporation do not reflect mine.

Public key fingerprint:  8e ad 63 61 ba 0c 26 86  32 0a 7d 28 db e7 6f 75.
To get PGP, FTP /pub/pgp/pgp26uis.zip or pgp26uix.zip from ftp.demon.co.uk.

Back to index