Re: 1st post and general query

Article: 7877 of alt.hackers
From: Foo@bar.org
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: 1st post and general query
Date: 25 May 1995 12:29:16 -0400
Sender: jbailin@cnct.com

Earlier today I wrote:

>One question to any and all; I believe my system software will end up
>appending a "Sender:" header field in this message.  Any clues
as to who
>is doing this, and how I might turn it off?

Well, seemingly that didn't happen, and presumably because I didn't
include a specious "From:" field.  If indeed the above appending
occurs
this time, then I restate my query.  And if it doesn't, I'm *completely*
in the dark and everyone should ignore me.

Well, you've always got that option, regardless :-)

And that means, oh no, another

ObPleaseDontLaughAtThisHack:

It's been a decade since I've done any programming, and I never knew
anything about UNIX anyway.  But I captured an .html file that I wanted
to convert to a text file in ms-word for windows.  My problem was that
each line of text was full of trailing spaces, random in number it
seemed, which made it impossible to set up the text in columns.

Solution (yes I know UNIX must have some simple utility or text editor
which would do this, but remember I said I don't know nuthin' about
Unix):  Start my comm program, Procomm (with modem echo turned on), and
turn on "capture to file" feature.  Then send the file which I
want to
doctor with the "play" feature (something which simply sends a
file out
the comm port).  Echoed text is captured to a new file with, but
trailing spaces are stripped out!  Bass awkwards, I know, but it worked.

John

Back to index