Re: ToneLoc

Article: 7909 of alt.hackers
From: twemling@infinet.com (Tom Wemlinger)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: ToneLoc
Date: 30 May 1995 01:43:13 GMT

sw0@GANet.NET wrote:
: Could anyone direct me to FAQ files or help files for the
: toneloc war dialer.  If so E-Mail me sw0@ganet.net

I checked the headers on the above post (no ObHack) and didn't see
anything special; I then tried posting a test message without doing
anything special and it made it in.  (I deleted it already.)  Is we
is or is we ain't moderated?

ObHack:

Set up a Lotus WYSIWYG spreadsheet which prints an envelope with
the delivery-point barcode on it.  I printed some sample labels
containing a range of DPBCs using a Seiko Smart Label Printer,
decoded the DPBC, and put the codes for each of the digits into
the spreadsheet; I then set up a routine to parse the address,
do a lookup on the codes, and concatenate them.  I had to use
special characters for the short and long vertical bars; the
spreadsheet and the formulas look like crap, but it works,
which was the whole point of the exercise to begin with.

Word to the wise:  It is not necessary to spend a lot of
time decoding the DPBCs.  As I found out later, the US
Postal Service puts out a bunch of free publications
which tell you everything you need to know. The packet
includes the Envelope Manager software, which is really
cool -- type in an address, press a key, and it dials
into its CD-ROM-based lookup service and returns the
ZIP+4; press another key and you get an envelope from
your Laserjet printer, coded according to your setup
specifications.

gone

Child

Back to index