Vinyl record hack

Article: 8419 of alt.hackers
From: dthomas@mack.rt66.com (David B. Thomas)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Vinyl record hack
Date: 9 Aug 1995 02:29:07 -0600

In the vein of "No hack too small", I offer this gem of brute force.
I was trying to get my Partridge Family Christmas album to play.  No,
it was for a Good Reason!  Really!  Check out my 70s page for my alibi
(http://www.rt66.com/dthomas/70s/70s.html).  Anyway.. the silly thing
was stamped *off center*!  The pitch would vary wildly, to the point
where it was noticeably less listenable than your usual Partridge Family
Christmas album.

After considering drilling a hole through the picture of Shirley Jones,
I decided to drill out the center hole of the record.  In best hacker
form, I drilled a little at a time, and worked out a system for accurately
positioning the record so it would play correctly.  You push the record
against the spindle as far as it will go, from the edge of the record
closest to the little "bell" emblem on the gray label.  That works
for side
one, anyway, and that was enough Partridge Family Christmas to last *me*
a few seasons!

David
--
Their address sums up their attitude: One Microsoft Way
	http://www.rt66.com/dthomas/

Back to index