Re: Help!! VGA -> TV ?

Article: 7436 of alt.hackers
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
From: andre@euclid.demon.co.uk ("Andre C. Parrie")
Subject: Re: Help!!  VGA -> TV ?
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 1995 10:53:56 +0000
Sender: usenet@demon.co.uk

In article <3e47us$kjg@uwm.edu>
           michaelg@alpha2.csd.uwm.edu "Ralph the Wonder Llama"
           writes:

> OK, I've got a problem.  On my new computer (a 386, but hey, it'll run
> Linux), I have a VGA card.  Unfortunately, I only have a CGA monitor.
> I've seen the adapter boxes that let you run VGA video out
> to a TV, but they are about as expensive as a VGA monitor.  So, is
> there a cheap and easy hack to turn a VGA signal into a composite one
> for use by a TV?  Or could I use my old Commodore 1702 monitor
> somehow?

This is a bit of a hack, but it does work on some TV's:

 The SCART input on televisions does have a number of pins I think are marked
 TTL RGB in. If you connect the ANALOGUE RGB out from your computer into
 the TTL RGB in, and any other SYNC and relevant pins, a small number of
 Televisions will accept this signal if you put it into teletext mode.
 I know a few Ferguson TV's which accept this, and perhaps a few others do
 too. I don't know the actual pin-out required, but I am sure you will be able
 to look it up somewhere.

--
   Andre C. Parrie                 ||  Internet:    andre@euclid.demon.co.uk
   Computer Science Student        ||  Compuserve:  100010,520

gone

Back to index