Quick Postscript Printing Hack

Article: 7568 of alt.hackers
From: Justin Fidler
<justin@reznor.pc.cc.cmu.edu>
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Quick Postscript Printing Hack
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 95 12:57:09 EST

ObPostscriptPrintingHack:

The scenario: Me with my MS Word 6/Win document with 2 large graphics in it.
The problem: The Apple Laserwriters that are available to Netware users are
incredibly slow, and there aren't too many of them. As a result, it will take
at least 15 minutes per graphics page, while I have to worry about everyone
else in the lab getting pissed because their stuff isn't printing out.

The hack: There was a HP Laserjet IVsi Postscript that's a lot faster.
Unfortunately, it's a kerberized unix printer.  So, I reconfigure the Apple
Laserwriter driver in word for win to print to a file.  Then I ftp it to a
kerberized unix box (in the /tmp directory, because I don't have the quota for
a 4-meg postscript file).  Next I logon to the same box, and queue it up to
the Laserjet IV.  By the time I get to the lab with the IVsi, it's almost done
(and in 600dpi too!).

Justin

Back to index