WWW proxy hack

Article: 7942 of alt.hackers
From: Steve Shipway <steve@imperial.co.uk>
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: WWW proxy hack
Date: 2 Jun 1995 15:40:11 +0100
Sender: news@news.demon.co.uk

Well, since noone here seems to be able to appreciate this, I thought I'd
tell you lot.

Our internal network (192.1.1.*) is linked to the internet via a UNIX host
on a SLIP line.  This means we can telnet, ftp etc from PCs to the UNIX
host, and from the UNIX host to the world, but not from PCs to the world (we
only have one IP address, not a class C).  Since the UNIX box doesnt have X,
no WWW. So, in the space of 2 hours, I wrote a proxy http server for the
UNIX box that relays request from the internal net out.  It *did* take a
further hour to find the last bug, but now it works fine.

Anyone want a copy?  Email me.

-Steve

--
Steve Shipway              steve@imperial.co.uk         Voice: +44 117 925 1700
Imperial Business Systems, 54-56 Park St, Bristol, UK   Fax  : +44 117 925 2515

Back to index