Re: Please Ignore - BILL'S TEST POST

Article: 7367 of alt.hackers
From: Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@ccs.neu.edu>
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: Please Ignore - BILL'S TEST POST
Date: 13 Feb 95 10:26:46

>>>>> "Warren" == Warren <warren@mudcom.com>
writes:

Warren> Second attempt.  Sorry to take up bandwidth.  How else to know?

1: read the FAQ; it gets posted often.
2: read the FAQ; you didn't post a hack.
3: consider yourself flamed to a crisp for not reading the FAQ.

ObHack:

A few months ago I picked up a Laserdisc player. Being one of those few who
are too cheap to buy a reciever/amplifier, patching it in with the VCR and
antenna (too cheap for cable, too :) was an interesting adventure. Problem
1: my VCR is brain-dead and automatically disables the antenna feed if
anything is plugged into the line jacks; as my VCR is also my primary
tuner, this was unacceptable. Problem 2: it was impossible to find a
switchbox that could handle both coaxial composite video and line level
video/audio other than with a very expensive receiver that cost more than
my LD player and VCR combined.

Solution: one high isolation A/B switchbox with coax composite video in and
out (from Radio Shack), one powered RF modulator to convert the line level
audio/video from the LD player to a composite signal (also from Radio
Shack), a pair of powered stereo speakers intended for use with a
Walkman-type radio or CD player (from Sony), a 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch stereo
plug adaptor (from Radio Shack). The switchbox is between the antenna leads
and the RF modulator, and the speakers plug into the headphone jack on the
LD player, and everything works just fine. And if I ever do get a surround
amplifier/receiver the speakers will make good back channel speakers. More
likely I'll replace the VCR in a year with one that isn't so brain-dead.

--
Rat <ratinox@ccs.neu.edu>		  | When not in use, Happy Fun Ball
should be

gone